Friday, June 6, 2008

It's the little things ;)

I've just been undertaking those small crochet projects lately.

I started an ipod cozy, the "Tunes Tote" from the April Crochet World magazine. Of course it's in the "make it in a day" section - and this particular pattern says "make it in an hour." Well, I think it's taken me at least a week ;) But of course I stopped in the middle of it to crochet a dishcloth though :) But really, with two little ones, I managed about a round at a sitting ;)

The pattern called for size 10 crochet nylon... but obviously that's not the size I had. It was a leftover spool of unidentified nylon from a project of my husband's (not a girly project - without making a long story, he used it to get his ham radio antenna hooked into the tree). I had been looking up patterns that called for nylon, but none had really caught my fancy. Then I finally got around to reading the April issue of Crochet world, and decided to make the ipod cozy. It was suppose to be 2 1/2" by 4" and I knew it was off right away when it only measured 2" across. Then by the 14th round it was only about 2" high :) So I checked my daughter's ipod shuffle and it fit... so there you go. I'll post a finished pic once I do the tedious finishing parts :)



The dishcloth came about by a sale on lily's sugar and cream yarn. That and my husband had a dishcloth that his mother must've made for him a long time ago. With moving it resurfaced. I don't think he'd ever used it, and I really didn't intend to. I've made a few dishcloths, but then usually just use them as hotpads - I didn't think they'd really be good for washing dishes. But out of desperation for a clean dishcloth I used the one my husband's mother had made. I immediately wanted to make more just like it! It took me a while to figure out what kind of stitch she had used, and after making one up, I think she did a front loop only, back loop only sc. The one I made was just a simple sc, with a few rows of back loop only... it wasn't until I did the few rows of back loop only in the center that I recognized the stitch she'd done.
I'm going to have to make more dishcloths :) I absolutely love using them for dishes :)

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I really like the fleck yarn in your last picture....I think that would make a really nice ghan, or sweater.

Have a great wkend, and thanks for the compliment.

Sandy